Re: [udig-devel] IGeoResource questions from development land

On 22-Nov-06, at 6:19 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

So here is what Jesse and I are going to talk about tomorrow morning :-P Poor jesse....

Any feedback would be welcome .... I am looking at locking down IGeoResource for the uDig 1.1. release and the following "issues" have been brought up.

- Catalog "events" with getInfo( ... ) granularity; this is needed. Making the catalog event system extend down to the information available via ServiceInfo is not a bad thing

Agreed.

- IGeoResource.parent( monitor ) - returns a IService (which is wrong, and has been wrong and fixed three times - is now the time for the fix to stick?)
Going forward this is a great idea. WMS have a hierarchy and this will allow that construct to make more sense.

- IGeoResource.service( monitor ) - if this method is needed it can be added ... although a quick loop with parent would produce the same effect
sure

- IService / IGeoResource "warnings"; right now we have one single Throwable, all implementations make use of this Throwable to only talk about the "preferred" - ie why getStatus() == BROKEN. We need something in user terms; no doubt attached to the info objects

Something easy to access and implement is needed. This is critical for uDig because right now we have no consistent way to indicating to the user what issues there may be with the configuration.

- IService.dispose() - seems to be required; it is too bad the concept cannot hidden to local catalog - rather then something user code *must* call

The following ideas from IResource have also been requested in the last year:
- IService / IGeoResource "session properties"
- IService / IGeoResource "persistent properties"

Note the concept of session properties negates the need for a the dispose method & provides a home for warnings.

Cheers,
Jody