Re: [udig-devel] Fwd: Using Google Earth in uDig

Currently there is a license restriction, google makes the data available via an AJAX api.

Several people have made a "bridge" between the google tile backend and the and the WMS standard that we do support. The result is impressive (but not legal).

So if you want something fun and legal make a renderer for the Nasa worldwind tile cache, or contribute to the recent WMS Tile research which our own Paul Ramsey is riding herd on.

If you really want that specific imagery you can of course buy it (or license it), if you want the performance and not the data we can talk about the tile solutions or you can set up MapServer with the blue marble dataset.

Cheers,
Jody

Back to the top