Re: [udig-devel] More questions about maps and projects

Robbie Jameson wrote:
Hi,

I'm still trying to find the best solution for the problem of adding
functionality alongside udig.

I've got an EMF model with its associated editor that contains a lot of
objects. Some parts of the model correspond to things that can be
represented on a map. I would like to use udig for displaying a map with
fixed, standard layers, and for displaying on top of these layers map
features deduced at run-time from the EMF model I am editing.
I thought about this problem, because I will need a solution in the next 4 months. I was going to propose that we make the MapEditor have multiple tabs, one for the GISMap, and you could add your GEF (diagram in my case)
another.

Alternatively you could focus your efforts on packaging up the rendering / tool system in a form that could be placed onto any old view or embedded in another map. We embed the representation of a Map into a Page in udig, but you still need
to open the Map is an Editor for interaction.

I am not sure but the Eclipse 3.2 revision of ViewPart/Editor abstractions may help us here.
I haven't yet managed to really figure out how to have my EMF editor open
and sole owner of the model, with editing changes in it being dynamically
refreshed on a map alongside it that contains the standard layers plus the
layers deduced from the editor's contents.
You can open the same "content" in several editors (and different) editors at once. I do not think we have the "open"/"open with..." options available for Map but it is a user interface guideline we are supposed to follow (but until there is another kind of editor there is no need).
Is part of the problem the udig notion of "projects" not fitting in very
well with the user doing File... Open... and opening an outside EMF file not
directly connected with a project? Or is there a good way of making all this
fit together? Is it possible to use udig with no projects whatsoever and
just a single map display or is this unadvisable?
This is a common request, and most uDig powered apps are not showing the project view. Initially a project is supposed to capture the Maps, Pages and so on, as well as the data connection needed for them. We actually had it as one big file...
Thanks for any opinions,
Good luck and let us know how it works out, others will be following after you.
Jody

Back to the top