Re: [udig-devel] Installing OS X version of uDig

Michael Brasser wrote:
On May 2, 2006, at 10:24 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

On May 2, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Michael Brasser wrote:

I installed uDig 1.1.M8 on my home computer (running OS X version 10.4.5) earlier this week. Some information that might be helpful for other OS X users:

1. Java Advanced Imaging is automatically installed with 10.4. Users still using 10.3 can download and install JAI from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/java3dandjavaadvancedimagingupdate.html
(reference: http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/apis.html#anchor1)

But uDig requires Java 5/1.5 which can only be installed on Tiger. Manually installing it on Panther is unsupported and may not completely work.

2. Image I/O is NOT automatically installed, and needs to be manually installed to support some of uDig's functions (I found this out when trying to load a world file for the first time). There is no specific OS X version of Image I/O, but jai_imageio.jar from the Windows or Linux installers (http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/downloads/download-iio-1_0_01.html) can be used by placing the jar in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/lib/ext before running uDig.
(reference: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/2.2+Dependencies)

Instead of putting extensions in the System, where they may get trashed by system updates, put them in /Library/Java/Extensions, or your home, ~/Library/Java/Extensions. Java is supposed to look in these places for user extensions.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

William,

Thanks for the clarifications. I have moved jai_imageio.jar to one of the directories you suggested.

For the uDig team: would it be possible to add the relevant information to the uDig OS X FAQ entry (http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/When+will+Mac+OS+X+support+be+available)? I've drafted a simple version, if that helps:

"uDig currently supports Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Earlier versions of OS X are not supported (?) because uDig requires Java 5, which Apple only provides for 10.4.

"For better uDig support, you should manually install the Java Advanced Imaging Image I/O Tools extension (link: http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/downloads/download-iio-1_0_01.html) to your computer. There is no native OS X download, however, you can use jai_imageio.jar from the Linux or Windows download for pure Java functionality. This file should be copied to /Library/Java/Extensions or ~/Library/Java/Extensions before running uDig."

Thanks, just thought I should point out that the website is a wiki and you can log in and edit anything you see.
jody

Back to the top