[udig-devel] Plea to avoid workarounds for broken servers

Hi all.

I've been keeping an eye on the excelent developments in uDIG land and
things look like they are comming together nicely.

I note that there is a drive to test and support as many wms and wfs
servers as possible, and this is a great way to knock out bugs in our
datastore implemementations for those specs.

I'd just like to make a plea that no-one adds workarounds for broken
servers into the codebase, (I have no indication that anyone has done
this yet, but I just want to be sure no-one is even slightly tempted!)

A broken server is just that, and any attempt to support or work round
servers that are off spec will lead to a slow but painfull death for
interoprability as a whole.  It is tempting to want to give the 'best
user experience' by letting our users see the content of broken
servers but if everyone did that we might as well not have standards.

James

Back to the top