Re: [udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-devel] Rendering and UDIG -- Sanity Check

James Macgill wrote:

One thing that would be useful here is a bit more info on what uDIG needs from its renderer, especially with regards precision. I know that a key goal is to enable editing (as which point generalization gets in the way rather than being helpful). I can see the need therefor for a distinction between 'background' or 'context' layers and 'critical' or 'reference' layers. One cirtiesm of j2d was that it used floats instead of doubles, perhaps doubles are only needed some of the time?

Certainly JUMP, where the first use case was close-in editing at the micro vertex error level, found that double precision was not only critical but often not enough. When editing micro-topology errors, rendering mistakes make the problems unresolvable by the operator.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey