[udig-devel] Seb Registry Service Notes

Some running notes as I work through the Web Registry Discussion paper...

What it does:
- registration
- metadata harvesting & descriptor ingest
- push and pull update of descriptors
- discovery of OGC Web Service types/instances

Document Details:
-  dated March 2001 - so there has not been enough interest to move the
WRS idea along.
-  based on Web Mapping Testbed Stateless Catalog prototype, WMT2 and
Catalog Revision Working Group...
- impression is that WRS is a draft implementation specification for the
OGC Catalog Service1.0

A few issues from the get go (that the author did not address):
Q: Will the same service registry catalog WMS, WFS and WCS
A: I assume so, and the client workflow guide included uses cases to
that effect

Q: How different are the metadata for WFS/WMS (Feature Type or a
FeatureCollection for a registry descriptor, how does this differ from a
mapping layer)
A: I kind of want to work at at the FeatureType/Map Layer level and
leave FeatureCollections out of it

What I need to do is hunt down the existing WFS implementation(s) and
see what they do.

Back to the top