Re: [udig-devel] Re: Context Document

Jody Garnett wrote:

On the bright side they expect a "WMS/WFS Context" to be the next
step.... Wish we were more in touch with the players on this one. I may
email the authors of this document to see if there is an email list we
can join.

Here is the scoop about WMS Context:

1- At the last OGC TC Meeting in Ottawa the scope of WMS context has been discussed for the nth time, and it has finally been agreed that WMS Context would stick to WMS layers and would never be extended to WFS or other layer types.

2- To allow support of other data sources (WFS, WCS, etc.), an interoperability experiment will take place between a few OGC members in the coming months to define a new OWS Context schema.

OGC members can find the activity plan for this Interoperability Experiement in the members portal. Unfortunately I can't get you a copy if you're not a member, but I'll be one of the players so I'll keep listening to this thread and see if we can incorporate your ideas in the outcome of this experiment.

On a related note, in the last year or so I have have been throwing around the idea of a common configuration file format that could be supported by various open source webmapping packages. This would not replace the native config file of each package, but could be supported as a secondary config format by MapServer and GeoServer for instance. This way users could get the best of both worlds by using MapServer as a WMS and GeoServer as a WFS-T, all operating on the same data sources and using a single configuration file. If this same config file was supported by JUMP as well then you could also view the same project on the desktop very easily.

I'm not sure if an OWS Context will be enough for that since in the above scenario we need the ability to configure local data sources and not just OGC Web Services. However I think it would make sense to use the OWS Context as a base and extend it for our specific needs.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               dmorissette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx