Re: [tycho-dev] Target Platform for Tycho Surefire bundles

On 12-01-02 9:29 AM, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:
I have a question about the Tycho’s Surefire bundles: These become part
of the OSGi runtime for any test executed by Tycho, correct? This
implies that they are running with the Eclipse version in the target
platform of the project being built.

Yes, this is correct, org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.osgibooter and one of
o.e.t.surefire.osgibooter.junit will be forced as dependencies of the
test runtime TestMojo.

And a second question: Do we have tests that ensure that we don’t
introduce dependencies in the Surefire bundles which would prevent
running them with earlier Eclipse versions? I should help to change the
target platform of tycho-surefire to an older release train, right?
Ganymede seems to work out of the box, so should we use that version?

I don't think it's worth the hassle. Dependencies of tycho surefire
bundles are very minimal and the code did not change pretty much since
the time it was originally written, so I think the chances we break
compatibility with earlier eclipse versions are very slim, unless we
decide to rework test bootstrap logic. Even then, I think it will be far
more useful to setup integration test(s) that verify compatibility with
versions of eclipse we want to support.

--
Regards,
Igor