Re: [tycho-dev] [discuss] tycho repository layout and metadata format

On 11-06-16 2:05 PM, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:
Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
Sent: 16 June 2011 11:58 To: Tycho developers list Subject: Re:
[tycho-dev] [discuss] tycho repository layout and metadata format

On Jun 16, 2011, at 11:36, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:

I don't think that using something non-deterministic and then
add
constraints won't work.

won't or will work ?

Sorry. IMHO using something non-deterministic (like the p2 planner on
a mutable p2 repository) and then adding constraints to it will _not_
yield a reproducible build.

It will work if there is only one possible solution to the problem. So
it is theoretically possible to start with non-deterministic target
platform and add enough constraints to essentially make all dependencies
strict. I ran some prototypes couple of years ago. If project target
platform is defined in terms of eclipse features, for example, then
number of additional constraints necessary to make resolution fully
reproducible is relatively small.

--
Regards,
Igor