[tracecompass-dev] Java VM out of memory with TraceCompass reading generic CTF

While reading in a generic CTF trace using TraceCompass, my Java VM is running out of memory causing Eclipse to shut down.  This is with Neon.3 with latest release of TraceCompass.

The error:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO: os::commit_memory(0x000000078f900000, 1048576, 0) failed; error='Cannot allocate memory' (errno=12)
#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 1048576 bytes for committing reserved memory.
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/rocky/eclipse/cupid-dev/eclipse/hs_err_pid14944.log

I am wondering if I am pushing the limits farther than intended with TraceCompass, or if there is something else going on?  The trace itself is custom, generated using the Babeltrace C library.  It seems to read fine from the command line using Babeltrace.

When I import into TraceCompass, it will appears to be successful, but after clicking around the trace event log for a few seconds, the JVM will fail completely with the error above and exit.

The trace itself is CTF with 50 streams. The stream files are between 4MB and 13MB each and the total size of all streams is about 350MB.  I assume the 350MB of binary event data will blow up substantially when converted into Java objects, but still this does not seem terribly bad.  However, I wanted to check to see if right off the bat it is clear that I am pushing TraceCompass past its intended use, or if these kinds of stats should be reasonable with the tool.

It may be that the underlying issue is mostly due to the large number of streams, not necessarily the size of the data, but that is a complete guess with little foundation. It does appear that there are a lot of Java threads in the hs_err_pidXXX.log file, so I was just wondering if they are getting out of hand with the number of streams.

If it would help, I am happy to provide both the full CTF trace itself to see if you can reproduce and also the hs_err_pidXXX.log file.

Thanks,
Rocky

Back to the top