Re: [tracecompass-dev] Trace Compass 2.0/Neon RC1 posted

On 05/20/2016 02:47 PM, Alexandre Montplaisir wrote:

Hello

I've created the stable-2.0 branch.

Any fixes from now on have to be submitted on both master and stable-2.0 branch (at least till the 2.0 release). The recommendation is to create the fix on master and when it's merged cherry-pick it on stable-2.0.

Whose responsibility is it to push the fixes to the stable-2.0 branch? The original author of the patch? Or is there a "release manager" who takes care of the contents of the release branch? Should we name such a person?
The original author is responsible for cherry-picking fixes on the stable-2.0. A "release manager" might miss changes to cherry-pick.

Well yes, this assumes said manager does its job correctly.

Several large projects with release branches use a method like that. It scales much better than having every single contributor push their own patches.
Not sure if it scales better. The work would be done by one person instead of all committers.

And what about non-committer contributors? Are they expected to know about our release process and cherry-pick their patches themselves?
Yes. If a committer or non-committer would like to have a fix in a release then he or she needs to cherry-pick it.

Also, should all cherry-picked fixes go through Gerrit a second time?
Yes, they go through Gerrit again. Just cherry-pick them on Gerrit directly. Most of the time there are no merge conflicts. The review is very quick once a patch build successfully.

I realize we should have discussed these points earlier, it just didn't occur to me until, well, now ;)
Well, for several releases we used the same process. There was not really a need for a discussion. Unless there are changes proposed.

This was to propose changes, yes. But as I said it's a bit late now to discuss it for this release. We could bring it up for our next release branch.
You can, but I don't see any reason to change the process.

Thanks,
Alex