[tracecompass-dev] Master branch: 2.0 or 1.1 ?

Hi all,

Branching off (pun intended) the discussion here to talk about our branching strategy for SR releases and Eclipse Neon.

From the way I see it, we basically have 2 options:
1) Bump master to 2.0 right away, allowing API breaks all around. Then build the SR releases from the stable-1.0 (which would rather become a stable-1.x) branch. 2) Bump master to 1.1, and build SR releases from there. Since You Can't Stop Progress (tm), this would imply having to create a -neon branch, which could contain API breaks, and to which we would regularly merge from master.

I am strongly in favor of option 1). We used the option 2) workflow back in Linux Tools for about one full release and a half, and it was a *major* *pain*.

To show how limiting it is to not allow API breaks in master, consider this : 1.0 is not even released yet, and we already have such API breaks in master! (About this, I recommend to all contributors to setup their 1.0 baseline in their workspace, so that they can be made aware of these breaks. It is now much easier to do, thanks to targets-as-baselines. I have updated the instructions to do so at [1].)
So if we were to go with 2), we would have to rectify this first.

Thoughts, comments?

Cheers,
Alex

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Trace_Compass/Development_Environment_Setup#Define_an_API_baseline