Re: [tools-pmc] What is our purpose?

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:32 AM Eike Stepper <stepper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 18.02.2021 um 19:49 schrieb Jonah Graham:
> > IMHO we as a PMC should start gradually upping the requirement for such changelog/news kind of content in releases
> till projects get it as a habbit.
>
> Yes. I agree. For now I will continue to nudge. Hopefully the projects can feedback some info of what are barriers so
> that as we up the requirements they don't become unnecessary impediments.
Here's my feedback:

It's great that the PMI offers so many detailed information fields for the projects that want to use them because they
think that (a) their community reads it and (b) it's the best way to provide it. But I think it's not reasonable to
assume (a) and (b) for every project to the same extent.

For example, for one of the two projects I lead we generate release notes per build from the Git history and Bugzilla
data, e.g., https://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/cdo/drops/R20201209-0330/relnotes.html . They're always accurate,
people find them easier because they're linked directly from the download page, and they costs us nothing. I wouldn't
want to be forced to manually duplicate this information into the PMI, four times a year.

Well, the goal is to simply put a link like that in PMI so one can navigate to it from the release page not to duplicate the information.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de