Re: [tools-pmc] Approval for Oomph 1.2.0 Release Review

Am 09.09.2015 um 16:05 schrieb Doug Schaefer:
As I mentioned in the Linux Tools request, the deadline is RC1. I think the planning council needs to make that more visible as it seems not everyone knows that. I haven’t heard when the Foundation has sent out the materials to the community for review or when they plan to. If it takes us a week to approve this, you may miss that window.
I get the sense there's quite a bit of confusion involved; at least on my end. So please let me explain:

The Oomph project does not yet have a parallel maintenance stream/branch. We only release from our master branch, but that three times a year (I would say coinciding with simrel.0, .1, and .2, but that already led to confusion :P ). So, directly after our 1.1.0 release at Mars.0 time I scheduled the 1.2.0 release for Mars.1 time and announced participation in Neon with a target release of 1.4.0 (assuming we'll have the 1.3.0 release with Mars.2). At all milestone builds for both simrel versions (Mars and Neon) we've contributed properly and not caused problems or surprises.

So the only thing that may be late is our 1.2.0 release review, not the 1.2.0 code that's already in simrel for months. This 3-releases-a-year process is also new to me as a project lead and it may well be that I missed a clause in the simrel docs that requires notice periods different from the EDP (which says "no shorter than a week before the release review").

Not sure I could clarify all questions (don't hesitate to ask!), but it strikes me the most important one is: Is there any show-stopper in here or can I expect to ship Oomph 1.2 with Mars.1?

Would also be nice to have a community friendly New and Noteworthy. I understand you’re a really small project but listing the enhancement request titles doesn’t really give a sense of the important things they need to know about the release.
I've enhanced the release description with a N&N-like, shorter bullet list of achievements.

And yes, you don’t need to wait for the IP Log to ask for our approval. We generally don’t care about that. As a PMC, we just want to make sure the content is well documented and properly minor release (I.e. Has significant new features and has no API breakage).
Anyway, the IP Log is now approved and Wayne told me that he makes it public.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de