Re: [tools-pmc] Object Teams proposal

> > On the JACKS question, if it is a development-time or build-time tool,
then
> > its likely not an issue.
>
> It's a test framework / test suite, so yes, just development/build time.

I'm no lawyer, but I think there's a couple of litmus tests. First, is the
GPL code in Eclipse source repository or distributed from Eclipse download
sites? If yes, it is a no go, from my understanding. Second, do
committers, contributors, or users have to get the GPL code to use or
participate in the project? If yes, then ... well, I don't know, but
definitely questionable since I think controversial (i.e. some employers
might not allow it in some circumstances, I think I recall hearing).

>From your other note ...

>  - I believe as the copyright holder of the test cases we could still
create
>    standalone test cases (not using JACKS) and provide them under the
EPL, no?
>    The connection to JACKS is very loose, so this is doable (with
>    some effort).

Depends. If the test cases are considered GPL (as I first thought) then
creating derivative works from them would also be GPL, I believe.

But, I may have stopped reading too soon. The passage [1] that I read says

<quote>
Jacks includes a collection of Java compiler tests contributed by people
on the net. Jacks is free software licensed under the terms of the GPL. A
test case must be licensed under the terms of the GPL to be suitable for
inclusion into Jacks ...
</quote>

First time through I did not read the last phrase "... to be suitable for
inclusion into Jacks ...". So, that sounds like a special case of test
cases contributed back to the Jacks project and does not apply to all test
cases created with Jacks (as I first thought). I assume your tests are not
"included into Jacks".

But to repeat, I'm no lawyer and was just raising the question. It would
not make or break the decision.
I'm sure the Eclipse IP staff could help answer any specific questions if
and when it was put in a CQ for their review.

I'll respond to your longer note later.
Thanks for the quick discussion.

[1] reference found simply from blind search. There could be better.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010624123929/oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/cvs/jikes/~checkout~/jacks/jacks.html

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:42:15 pm Mike Milinkovich wrote:
> On the JACKS question, if it is a development-time or build-time tool,
then
> its likely not an issue.

It's a test framework / test suite, so yes, just development/build time.

Stephan