Re: [tools-pmc] Adding Bundle to Orbit

A couple of points to clarify:

1. CQ#3377 specifies "optional, workswith" status ... which means EMF does
not distribute the bundle, but does document that if someone happens to
have it installed, then they will take advantage of it. See
http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf

for full details on the policy and procedures for "non distributed"
third-party bundles.

2. If PDT or DLTK also wanted to have such an optional, workswith
relationship with this bundle, then that would not involve Orbit, as
nothing is ever distributed from Eclipse. PDT or DLTK (or both) only have
to submit their own CQ's, similar to the EMF one. This type of CQ is
mostly just a matter of documenting what a project claims they "work with"
and gets a cursory examination from IP staff, not as detailed as a
re-distribution CQ ... as I understand it.

3. If it is desired be redistribute the bundle, and even if it does go
into Orbit, each project that wants to use it, has to have their own CQ
that says they are distributing it. And before it goes into Orbit, there
should be one project that says, via CQ, they plan to use and distribute
it (whether or not it is in Orbit). Once there is one of those project CQs
approved, then that CQ can be the prerequisite CQ to propose to put it
into Orbit. The EMF CQ doesn't qualify for that "pre-req project" since
they are not actually redistributing it. So, if PDT or DLTK wanted to
redistribute that bundle, they should be the first to submit a CQ for
redistribution. Once that CQ is approved, then an Orbit CQ could be open
to propose putting it into Orbit.

That's my understanding. Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks,