Re: [tools-pmc] VE incubator - FOCUS

MDT is an "incubating project" which has gone through its 1.0 release,
including components which are numbered > 1.0 and < 1.0.

This includes UML2, an ex-con of Tools, and XSD, an ex-con of both
Technology and Tools. Both these "projects" were down-graded to
"component" so that the MDT "project" could be born to include them
and allow for // IP.

Last year's MDT 1.0 release included:
EODM 0.9
OCL 1.1
UML2 2.1
UML2 Tools 0.7
XSD 2.3

This year's MDT 1.1 will include:
EODM 1.0
OCL 1.2
UML2 2.2
UML2 Tools 0.8
XSD 2.4

http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/docs/plans/mdt_project_plan_1_0.html
http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/docs/plans/mdt_project_plan_1_1.html

My point? If VE became a project AND a component (as EMF has become), then:

* we would rebrand the current VE code to "VE Core Component"
* we'd have the existing code as a > 1.0 component, NOT incubating
* we'd have a VE project which would be incubating
* we could add a second component for "VE Incubator Component" which
could start at 0.7

This conforms to the rules and doesn't require a brand-new 'everyone
in tools can now incubate so the PMC better pay attention' Tools
Incubator project, a la EMFT used to be.

Do you want a tools-wide incubator (like EMFT was when it included
components that are now in M2T and MDT)? or just a VE-specific one,
like MDT and M2T are, containing only incubating components relevant
to those projects?

Nick