RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

Doug,

Yes, I think something is broken in the Eclipse process.  The fact that
only conforming incubating projects can take advantage of parallel IP is
the issue at hand, and although we committer reps are trying to effect
change in this regard, the progress is exceedingly slow.  So in the
meantime, every group seems to be creating such incubating projects.  As
you well know, the IP review process is exceedingly long, so your position
is effectively to hold up progress until what's likely a months long
process completes;  I doubt that's your intent.   It doesn't seem
reasonable for VE to go back to incubating since that would involve
reseting the version numbers back to below 1.0; I doubt you'd suggest that
as a good solution for the community.

I'm not sure what the Tools PMC's specific problems are with dealing with
the collection of projects but an incubating subproject specific to VE or a
general one for all projects to share doesn't sound like the straw that
broke the camel's back.  One of these two approaches is what all the other
PMCs seem to be doing.  I hope that the Tool PMC will act quickly to foster
growth and diversity...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx, Tools PMC
             tools-pmc-bounces         mailing list
             @eclipse.org              <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
                                       Bjorn Freeman-Benson
             10/22/2007 10:46          <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                       RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev]
                                       Contribution on VE with XML editor
             Please respond to
             Tools PMC mailing
                   list
             <tools-pmc@eclips
                  e.org>

I am not in favor of creating projects just for incubating parts of another
project. (BTW, that applies to projects at Eclipse that have already done
that). If that is necessary to get work done, then there is something
broken with the Eclipse process.

The VE project is not incubating at the moment. This contribution should go
through the regular IP process. If that is not acceptable to the VE
project, then I suggest putting the whole VE project back into incubator
mode. That would make sense given that it is in recovery mode and is trying
to rebuild its committer community with new blood.

If you haven?t noticed yet, the Tools PMC can?t deal with the collection of
projects it has now, adding more for whatever reason just won?t work.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems