[sumo-user] Difference between my rule-based simulation vs. default SUMO behaviour

Hello,

I am trying to recreate the same vehicle lane-changing behaviour that SUMO displays when a flow with the following definition:

<flow arrivalLane="current" arrivalPosLat="center" begin="0" departLane="random" departPosLat="center" departSpeed="random" id="f" number="100" route="r0" type="veh" vehsPerHour="10000" />

is allowed to complete their route on a single 1000 m, 3-lane road (edge).

The rolling average of number of vehicles on each lane is almost identical (which is what I would expect) from this simulation:

number vs lanes.png

To recreate the same type of behaviour in my rule-based simulation, I chose left, right or stay with equal probability for each car at every step.

import numpy as np
.
.
.
prob = np.array([1/3, 1/3, 1/3]) # equal probability
action = "" 0, +1], p=prob) # -1 = right, 0 = stay, +1 = left
.
.
traci.vehicle.changeLaneRelative(vehID=veh_id, indexOffset=action, duration=5) # for each vehicle
.
.

...but the behaviour seems to avoid the last lane (lane 2):
number vs lanes.png

I tried adding one more lane and I observed the same behaviour - the last lane seems to be avoided:
number vs lanes.png

My lane change mode is set to LC_MODE = 1557. Is there any possible reason for this? Maybe some interaction of changeLaneRelative with SUMO that is causing this? Please advise.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Hriday

Back to the top