Re: [sumo-user] Arriving to a traffic break-down and observing dynamic shockwaves ( / phantom traffic jams)

Thank you very much for your answer Jakob, you helped me a lot!

I have 3 more questions:

1.       I have noticed that the attached test case which consists of a 1 hour 3000 veh/hr flow along 20 km of road performs just a single shock wave. Is it considered to be a realistic scenario?  If not - what can be done to make it more realistic? Which Vtype (or other) attributes do you recommend to edit in case of a 2 lanes scenario?

2.       I used the SUMO plot_trajectories tool and noticed that the graph looks very clean and maybe less realistic. How can I improve it?

3.       What is the reason that the road is divided into 100 sections? Can it affect the simulation results?

Sincerely, Dvir

plot.png
‫בתאריך יום א׳, 3 באפר׳ 2022 ב-1:52 מאת ‪Jakob Erdmann‬‏ <‪namdre.sumo@xxxxxxxxx‬‏>:‬
Hello,
you can download a test case that shows breakdown of flow at
The test case collects traffic data which can be used to plot a fundamental diagram with
sumo/tools/visualization/plotXMLAttributes.py edgedata.xml -i id -x density -y left -s --scatterplot --yfactor 60 --ylabel vehs/hour

It's pretty hard to observe spontaneous breakdown on a straight road because the disturbances travel upstream and take a while to develop into a full jam. For this reason the test uses 20km of road.

regards,
Jakob