Von: sumo-user <sumo-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> im Auftrag von Jakob Erdmann <namdre.sumo@xxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022 11:47:51
An: Sumo project User discussions
Betreff: Re: [sumo-user] Calibrating OD with edge count data

Hello,
you are posing an interesting question that hasn't really come up before.
It appears that typical scenario creators didn't have access to both OD-Matrix and counting data. Hence, there is a gap in documentation and tooling for this use case.
Your thoughts on the matter are correct.

With regard to 1. (using equilibrium routes rather than free-flow routes) you could employ the following alternatives:
- create candidate routes by loading the trips in sumo and writing --vehroute-output (see https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Demand/Dynamic_User_Assignment.html#oneshot-assignment)
- create move variance in the routes by running duarouter with option --weights.random-factor

With regard to 2, you should be able to use the routeSampler.py option --od-files to ensure that all vehicles are put into the simulation (rather than only those that pass city-center counting locations). This should in principle allow a perfect fit with the OD-Matrix.

There are some limitations to this approach:
- there is currently no tooling to generated the od-files (i.e. https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/10058)
- by using a fixed assignment of trips to edges (from od2trips), you are losing degrees of freedom that might be needed to match the counting data. A possible fix is outlined at https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/6890
- there is no guarantee that the sampled routes have a similar frequency compared to the "equilibrium" input. You can set option --weighted to improve this likelihood but if the counts go in a particular way you could get artifacts

Overall I'd be quite interested in hearing about your progress if you chose to follow the OD2trips + routeSampler approach.
If you happen to work on tooling, pull requests are also welcome.

regards,
Jakob