[sumo-user] traci slowDown method

Dear Community,

I had been exploring the use of slowDown() while using traci API to control the simulation. The description of the method says -

"Changes the speed smoothly to the given value over the given amount of time in seconds (can also be used to increase speed)."

While using the method, I observed that speed is not consistently reducing. During some timesteps, I saw speed is also increased after issuing the slowDown command. Is it expected behaviour? My goal is to bring the vehicle to complete halt.
Please advise.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Ishan Dindorkar