Re: [starter-dev] A suggestion to add a button to quickly jump to the form

OK. How about we say “Core Profile available for Jakarta EE versions 10 and above”?

From: starter-dev <starter-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Emily Jiang via starter-dev <starter-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2023 1:02 PM
To: starter developer discussions <starter-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Emily Jiang <emijiang6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [starter-dev] A suggestion to add a button to quickly jump to the form

My response in-line.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: starter-dev <starter-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Emily Jiang via starter-dev <starter-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2023 11:33 AM
To: starter developer discussions <starter-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Emily Jiang <emijiang6@googlemailcom>

I have the following comments.

1. My general feedback for this UI is its extensibility. When the versions of Jakarta EE, Java EE and runtime grows, the site will be very crowded. Have we considered a dropdown list instead of laying everything out on the same level?

RR: Yes, I experimented with this. It’s a bit tougher to enable/disable items in a drop down vs radio buttons. It’s also not as obvious. More importantly, radio buttons make it easier to see what the choices are right away. I suggest we revisit this if it actually becomes an issue at a later point in time and stick to radio buttons for now.

2.  From my experience, Web Profile is more used than Platform. Would making Web Profile the default option a better option?

RR: To be honest, in my experience the full platform is what is in use most widely, by a very large margin. I think it’s the correct default until we know definitively more people are using something else such as the core profile.

3. "Core Profile requires Jakarta EE 10. " is not quite right. I would reword it to be "Core Profile does not exist prior to Jakarta EE 10."

RR: Fair point. To maintain conciseness, I’ll update it to say “Core Profile introduced in Jakarta EE 10”.
This is not quite right. It will be included in Jakarta EE 11 as well. I think we need to settle on something including the future versions.

Thanks
Emily