[sparkplug-dev] Sparkplug version ‘next’

All,

Now that Sparkplug 3.0.0 is released, we are working on planning for the next version of Sparkplug. Over the past few years there have been many suggestions for improvement and we’d like to get these captured, discussed, and developed into the next revision of the Spec and the TCK. In the 3.0.0 release the plan was ‘change as little as possible and make it concise and testable’. The new mentality will be something more like ‘Incorporate improvements and features, maintaining clarity and testability’. From a versioning standpoint I think this will mean a v4.0.0 version and probably a ‘Sparkplug C’ topic token. As a starting point, this doc has everything that has been captured in existing issues: https://github.com/eclipse-sparkplug/sparkplug/blob/develop/docs/roadmap.md. I know there are things missing here including things that have been discussed internally at Cirrus Link. This is a snapshot of ideas and I’d like to get anything/everything captured here so we can work through each item. Feel free to add more and make suggestions/comments by creating issues in the same Sparkplug Github repo. Given this is becoming a cross company/cross device/cross application distributed environment I’d like to do as much as possible in this new revision so we don’t have to follow up with another significant revision change shortly afterward. I also want to make sure we do this without losing sight of the original Sparkplug goals.

Again, all input and feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Wes

Back to the top