[smarthome-dev] Stepping down as project lead & committer of Eclipse SmartHome

Hi,

I am also sad and a little surprised about this. Please let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for your continuously great work on this great piece of technology!

I have a couple of questions, though:
To my knowledge, there are a few other users other than your employer. Are you in direct contact with them and are they informed about this? Have they communicated, that they are not interested in taking over any responsibilities in this project?

As you might play this question back to me: As we currently do not have a commercial backup for our Use case, we would be able to contribute, but not enough to fully take over the project. I would find it very interesting what other users of this project plan to do.

In your plan of reintegrating Eclipse Smart Home into openHab, will it still be a stand-alone component to be used independently of other openHab components? Do you plan to change all name spaces?
What is the huge advantage of moving code over to another project. This actually looks like a lot of work. You mentioned it can develop "more freely" over there. What are the restrictions you currently see as an Eclipse project? Wouldn't it also be possible to move some committers from openHab over here?

Finally, let me thank you to communicate this in a direct and honest way. It is better to have transparency on a project compared to a "slow death".

Best regards,

Jonas

Dr. Jonas Helming

Senior Software Architect / General Manager
EclipseSource Munich
Email: jhelming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Web: http://eclipsesource.com/munich Phone: +49 89 21 555 30 - 11 Hangouts: jhelming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EclipseSource München GmbH Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1 80992 München General Managers: Dr. Jonas Helming, Dr. Maximilian Kögel Registered Office: Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1, 80992 München, Commercial Register München, HRB 191789

Back to the top