Re: [smarthome-dev] project members

Hi Markus,

I can very much understand your frustration and I am often feeling the same way - the committer status comes with certain duties and obligations and when people stop (or never start?) fulfilling them, it feels unfair towards the other that do.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that nobody should be blamed here; it is very natural that priorities of people change and that personal involvement in open source projects can heavily vary over time.
I think what we as a project should do is to take this as a fact and to define our own process how to deal with that. My suggestion would be to periodically discuss the situation here on the list (e.g. about once a year) and check if any committers have lost interest and should be retired from the project - while giving them a chance to veto here.

Looking at the activities over the past year, I would see Thomas and Marin to be candidates for retirement as there wasn’t any visible activity throughout that period (from what I have observed). If there is no veto from any committer, I would suggest to retire them by the end of next week (Sept 9).

The other side is that we should try to attract more people that are willing to actively (and not just „on paper“) maintain the project. This isn’t an easy task, but I think as the community grows, we should be able to find new committers along the way.

Best regards,
Kai