Re: [sensinact-dev] OSGi Remote Services

Hello Scott,

We have some plans regarding the distribution of sensiNact but for now we are focusing mainly on consolidating the current implementation in order to provide, as soon as possible, a working release of our software. We are trying to use as much as possible what is provided by the OSGi consortium in order to minimize our work for providing features that are not part of our main business. Thus, I think we will look at the available solutions, especially in Eclipse, when the time will come to add this aspect to our platform.

We will not hesitate to contact you, or directly the project mailing list, to have further details about this tool.

Thanks for letting us know that we can find this kind of tool in Eclipse.
--
Rémi DRUILHE

Greetings,

I just learned of the Sensinact project.   I'm a committer on the Eclipse Communication Framework [1].

Given what I've read about the Sensinact architecture so far (based upon services, and looking to support multiple IoT protocols, I would like to suggest that you consider using OSGi Remote Services [2].   OSGi Remote Services (and Remote Service Admin) are specifications for distributing OSGi services across multiple processes.   ECF has a spec-complete  and CT-tested implementation for > 5 years, and our impl has the unique characteristic that is has open and pluggable distribution and discovery systems, allowing multiple transport and serialization protocols (called 'providers') to be supported without affecting the service layers.   Following the OSGi Remote Service spec also allows the automatic and complete integration with (e.g.) Declarative Services, iPojo, and others.

We currently have distribution providers for mqtt, xmpp, http, tcp, jax-rs, jms, xml-rpc, hazelcast, javagroups, java<->python, and others [3], and have open apis for us or others to add new open or closed providers [4].

If you would like other/more pointers or details about anything please let me or us know (ecf-dev mailing list).

Scott

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/ecf

[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project#OSGi_Remote_Services

[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers