Re: [sdv-wg] [EXTERNAL] Embedded World 2023 - Eclipse SDV presentation

On 2023-03-17 12:24 p.m., Sara Gallian via sdv-wg wrote:
  • You’re using “no single stack” (or distro) as a mechanism to allow the most experimentation (code first) across projects without constraining participants?
Again, you're right. Allowing, by design, overlapping projects we naturally end up with more than one distribution. I imagine the Eclipse SDV WG to offer templates for classes of use cases that the user can modify depending on the specific problem at hand.

If I could be so bold, I would like to express a different opinion on this topic.

I think that it is very possible that SDV could ship multiple, perhaps even competing, distributions. This is not a value just for these early days, it is true even in the far distant future when we have crossed the chasm from experimentation to mature production.

Take a look at the Eclipse IDE package download page which delivers multiple distributions made from different and overlapping selections of projects, each specially tuned to a particular segment of users and use cases. I can imagine a future mature SDV community doing some similar things.

I also believe that there are lessons that can be learned from how the Eclipse Packages are defined, constructed, and delivered by their Simultaneous Release process.

I hope that makes sense to folks!

--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director Eclipse Foundation AISBL

Back to the top