Switching gears just a bit... Dear PMC, in light of this information and the fact that our industry partners are not pushing for Type B Due Diligence, (and instead asking for Type A TBH!), I would like to seek your approval in adopting the Type A Due Diligence process for the next releases of ICE, and in particular ICE III which we hope to release in the coming months?

We are still reviewing the EPL v2, but I hope to adopt it for ICE III as well.

Jay

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Please allow me to add the perspective of the Eclipse Foundation on this topic.

What Greg says below is mostly true. It was definitely true when the Eclipse Foundation started 14 years ago. But what was once novel and risky is now commonplace. Open source is now generally accepted throughout the software industry. Many companies do not do the equivalent of Type B due diligence themselves. The Eclipse Foundation is the only open source foundation that even offers this level of intellectual property management. For example, neither the Apache Software Foundation or the Linux Foundation perform the equivalent of Type B for their projects. Type A is actually considered the norm for what's provided by a foundation. Type A is also significantly better than what you get from most GitHub-based projects.

Type A due diligence allows projects to move faster, and in particular get started faster. For many projects it is entirely sufficient. My suggestion is: listen to your adopters. If you are getting backpressure from your adopters to move to Type B, consider it. But frankly I don't think Type B is worth it unless you have a concrete reason to use it. One clear example of where it is required in our experience is if your project is being adopted by industrials (e.g. automotive), as their risk profile lags the software industry's by a decade or so.

Related: I would like to draw your attention to the recently announced ClearlyDefined project which the Eclipse Foundation is part of. We are pretty excited about the idea of sharing this provenance information to save everyone in the industry from individually repeating the entire due diligence process for every open source library.

HTH

On 2018-03-13 7:44 PM, Greg Watson wrote:
Anyone wanting to redistribute and/or sell products that include Eclipse code would require the additional due diligence provided by B. Otherwise they could be potentially liable for infringing IP or copyright. So if there is any desire to have the software used in this way (e.g. you wanted a vendor to use it in a product, or you thought it might be worthy of commercialization) then B would be the best choice. If you don't think this is likely then A is probably fine.

Regards,
Greg