Re: [science-iwg] Fwd: Re: [triquetrum] Dual License Triquetrum under EPLv1.0 and EPL-1.0-BSD (#46)

To be truly open source, code needs to be usable without requiring further permissions, including spending money acquiring patent licenses. As someone who has been a member of the board at the Open Source Initiative for many years, I can tell you that these sorts of patent clauses are considered to be a feature of all modern open source licenses. The patent clauses in the EPL, ALv2 and similar licenses have been carefully constructed, and are broadly accepted by industry. The ALv2 in particular is very popular precisely because of its patent license (which is almost identical to the EPL's), coupled with permissive copyright terms.