Re: [platform-ui-dev] Difference between Action and Command

Hi eclipse dev. team

I just want to mark something about the command framework
Please use the EMF command framework and not to invent your own command
framework
This problem already exists in GEF because they have their own command
framework , and they are thinking of moving to the EMF command framework in
the future.
so , please don't do the same mistake GEF did in the past

Best regards,
Joseph G.M. Khalil
Software Engineer
Business Integration Product Development
Cairo Technology Development Center (TDC)

IBM Egypt
Address: 72 Gameat Al-Dowal Al-Arabia St., Fifth Floor, Mohandesseen, Giza
12311, Egypt
Phone:    +202 761-7394
        +202 761-7392
        +202 761-7393, Ext.123
Email:jkhalil@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Chris
                      McLaren/Ottawa/IBM@IBM        To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      CA                            cc:
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Re: [platform-ui-dev] Difference between Action and
                      platform-ui-dev-admin@         Command
                      eclipse.org

                      06-08-2003 22:11
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ui-dev

yes. the command is just that: a classification id for a group of
semantically related actions. you are dead on that the name, description,
etc. was added to commands initially (solely, right now, in fact) to
support the key bindings preference page. as i mentioned, i'd like to see
these names and descriptions eventually being used other places as well,
like menus and toolbars for instance. i like the wording that a command
'identifies a common class of actions'.

as for scott's definition of 'action' (i think influenced by swing),
scott's 'action name' is equivalent to command ids. we build the
equivalent of swing's 'input map' by each plugin contributing keybindings
for command ids via the commands extension point. the equivalent of
swing's 'action map' is the workbench choosing the proper action for a
command. (which is basically 'retargeting')

the difference between swing and this mechanism is that we will probably
put commands on menus and toolbars rather than actions. this will decouple
menus and toolbars from actions in a way that swing cannot. which makes me
wonder if the word 'action' is too confusing, considering swing user's
think of it as the thing put on the menus and toolbars themselves. perhaps
'handler' might be a less confusing word than 'action'.?

also, back to undo/redo, i would expect that in an undo/redo mechanism, it
is the particular action itself that would choose to place undo objects on
an undo stack following execution. only the particular action knows how to
undo itself. that's why i felt undo/redo was really a side topic to this
notion of commands, but i agree the terminology is confusing here as well,
as this 'undo object' that an action would add to an undo stack is often
known as a 'command'.

as the commands extension point was put in in 2.1, it looks like that is
the only use of the term that is unchangable right now.

chris.

Randy Hudson/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
08/06/2003 02:32 PM