Re: [platform-ui-dev] Request for new Global Action on the Edit menu

I don't want "Restore Default Value" to be on the Edit menu when my Editor
has focus, only when my PropertySheet has focus.
Nor do I want "Restore Default Value" to always be on the Edit menu all the
time everywhere.
Are you saying I can use actionSetPartAssociations to make this action show
up automatically only when my PropertySheet has focus?

If so, I was trying to say that as a user, I believe "Rename.." and others
fall into the same category.  They are not common enough to be there all
the time.  I was being facetious about the global action request.

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx    |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           04/11/2002 11:47 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                              |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-ui-dev] Request for new Global Action on the Edit menu                                                        |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Randy,

Please use bugzilla for feature requests rather than the team's mailing
list.

To clarify though:
Rename... and Move... were added to the Edit menu as new global
retargetable actions by the Workbench, not JDT.
JDT makes its other contributions to the main menus for views using the
relatively new extension point "actionSetPartAssociations".

It is also possible to add a RetargetableAction (also relatively new API)
from an editor's action bar contributor and have views hook handlers.

These mechanisms were recently added to address several customers'
requests to allow better editor/view interaction, and are being used by
JDT for the menu reorganization.

It may not make sense for a view to add all its actions to the main menus,
but it may for some.
For example, since the task list is a secondary view, it does not add any
main menu items, but it does hook the new File / Properties global action.
If you do add main menu items, it may be better to add a whole new main
menu since it's appearance when the view is opened gives a stronger cue
that new actions are available.

See the doc and build notes for more details.

Nick

"Randy Hudson" <hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/11/02 11:35 AM
Please respond to platform-ui-dev

        To:     platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Request for new Global Action on
the Edit menu

In my application, the user can go to the PropertySheet and select an
Entry
in the TableTree, and restore the default value for that entry.

So, I think a "Restore Default Value" global action should be added to the
Edit menu.  Then, my PropertySheetPage will plug into that global action
and implement the proper Action.  The action will be disabled in views
that
don't want to provide a "Restore Default Value" action.

Clearly there is something wrong in this logic.  The real problem is that
View cannot add to the Edit menu or any other menu.  Yet, the latest menu
re-org has done exactly what I've requested, except it did it for the
Resource Navigator and Java Packages Views.  "Move..." and "Rename..."
make
no sense in most Views.  Actually, they don't even make sense in most
editors, and the Workbench is pretty Editor-centric.  "Add Bookmark..." is
the same.  Why should that be on the Edit menu when I am in the Console
View?  Or the PropertySheet?  Or a Team View?

The Workbench is making exceptions for itself and the JDT.  If I can't get
"Restore Default Value" on the Edit menu when the PropertySheet View has
focus, the Java Packages Views shouldn't be able to have "Rename..." on
the
Edit menu.