[platform-dev] Eclipse PMC statement on SWT Chromium support

The Eclipse Project PMC has agreed that the time spent on building/infrastructure/reviews/bug triaging for Chromium support in SWT, in its current form, is not providing benefits for the open source community. Setting aside how demotivating it is to work on something that isn't useful, we simply do not have the resources to dedicate to something which can not be used in real applications. The security concerns in the current Chromium support are eroding SWT credibility since part of the project has a hard requirement on a library with many CVEs.

Thus the following steps will be taken:
* We will stop building and publishing the Chromium support libs for M1 (2021-04-09) unless a patch is contributed by that time, which provides support for a recent, CVE-free Chromium version.
* The code and disabled builds will be kept until the end of the current release cycle (2021-06-16) to provide an opportunity for the community to step in if there is interest in keeping support for it.

We absolutely want to see the SWT ecosystem grow (but not at the cost of putting at risk regular builds, and the motivation of people working on it). Thus we would support efforts to improve SWT extensibility so that alternative Browser implementations can be provided without the need for changes in SWT codebase or involvement of Platform rel. eng.  That is, we want it to be possible to contribute new browser support by an independently driven project. Who would like to help?

--
Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Back to the top