Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

Eclipse has a GUI, and it's really helpful to develop GUIs using a tool which allows inline images. GitHub PRs and issues work really well together.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 8:27 AM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Let's capture the main parts of the discussion at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng/Migration_To_GitHub so we can more easily plan action here.

I'm personally in favor of the eventual move to GitHub, despite my huge love and respect for Gerrit. However, I think we should wait for the "contributing to an Eclipse.org project via GitHub" contribution flow to become nicer, typically when we can get rid of the Signed-Off-By requirement and when any user has a few clicks operation to sign the ECA from GitHub pull requests.

As mentioned on other threads, I believe we should stick to bugzilla for issues: GitHub issue tracker is a weak, messy, ugly-after-3-comments, hard to navigate... tool. I'm using it for a few projects much smaller than Platform and don't find it as productive as Bugzilla. I've participated to some discussions on bigger projects (VSCode and others) and found that the lack of semantic relationship (depends/requires/duplicates...) pollutes the discussions and forces to read 40 comments just to find the right link to a requirement.

About the CI, any volunteer should start writing the necessary GitHub actions and/or Jenkinsfile to get builds triggered against GitHub Pull Requests. If this files are demonstrated to work well (eg on some cloned repo), then we could consider adding them already inside the repositories as a preliminary step...

Once we have the requirements identified and covered, we may be able to progressively move 1 repo after the other as soon as project is ready. I'd advise starting by evaluating for instance migration of PDE to GitHub: what needs to be changed for this to fully work all along the release process?

Cheers,