Re: [platform-dev] MacOS .dmg vs .tar.gz

> On 13 Nov 2020, at 13:42, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Alex,
>
> I wonder how notarization plays into this picture?  I was under the impression that only the *.dmg is notarized and that notarization is important...

The tests were performed using the binaries available in M2:

https://download.eclipse.org/technology/epp/downloads/release/2020-12/M2/

As you can see, there are both .dmg and .tar.gz.

I don't know how/if the binaries were notarized, or if there is something wrong with the notarization process, but the Eclipse.app extracted from the .tar.gz is equally functional as the one extracted from the .dmg.

> I find the whole discussion very odd given the platform has just removed its *.tar.gz going forward but now "we" want EPP packages to have them, though to rename them to something else.  Why is the platform moving away from this while the EPP is moving sideways back toward it?   Has any user ever asked for a *.tar.gz?

The GNU MCU/ARM Eclipse (now Embedded CDT) users always used .tar.gz files, since I never produced .dmg files.

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top