Re: [platform-dev] [platform-swt-dev] SWT-GTK3 bugs for 4.9

Hello,

On 06/01/2018 11:16 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Robert Zenz <robert.zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:robert.zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    So completely dropping GTK+2 support
    will have an impact on these environments which are still supported.

I guess Eclipse Project would announce that Ubuntu 16.04 is not supported by the project team anymore (ie bug specific to Ubuntu 16.04 would be ignored by the team).

In practice, GTK3 bugs specific to Ubuntu 16.04 are already ignored -- we will accept patches for them but otherwise no time is spent on these issues.

The reason is that Ubuntu 16.04 LTS uses GTK3.18 which has been obsolete for 3 years. There is no point in fixing bugs that only affect this GTK3 version, as the final and stable release of GTK3 is 3.22. Furthermore Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is the only distro that uses this GTK3 version, even Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has GTK3.22 and an up-to-date GNOME stack.

That said: issues that are reproducible on GTK3.22 are always a priority, and any such bugs should be filed/pointed out ASAP.

Eric Williams
Software Engineer - Eclipse/SWT Team
Red Hat

Back to the top