[platform-dev] Should closed project behave like folders?

Hi all,

I've been thinking about some possible usability improvements in the platform that would make daily usage easier.
As part of this brainstorming, I wondered why do we (Eclipse users) have to close or open projects everytime? In my case, and probably in most cases, I close a project to avoid extra-actions to happen (validation and build) in order to keep a good reactivity in IDE. However, whenever they want to change a simple file -let's say a pom.xml- , they need to open the project, then a build start and Eclipse can slow down or lag because of heavy operations, which are not always necessary in order to make a simple edit. In some cases, I think it would be convenient to have the ability to edit a file in Eclipse without opening a project.

To do so, I'm proposing the following approach: a closed project should behave like a folder. It would simply list its content (file and folders, no container) so it would be possible to make simple editions, but no build, no validation, no smart thing would occur. The only drawback I see is that the "Show Resources" wizard would contain a lot of things, but anyway, it always contains a lot of things so I don't see that as a serious drawback.

Thoughts?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat