[platform-debug-dev] Re: [jdt-debug-dev] Vote: Goodbye "process" view

+1

"Darin Wright/WPG/OTI" <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: jdt-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/21/2001 05:14 PM
Please respond to jdt-debug-dev

        To:     jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [jdt-debug-dev] Vote: Goodbye "process" view

I propose that the 'process' view be removed from the debug perspective.
Currently we have a 'debug' view and a 'process' view. The debug view
shows
launches in debug mode, and the process view shows launches in run mode.
Furthermore, the process view shows a "runtime" presentation of debug
launches. For example, when I am doing local java debugging, I see a debug
target in the debug view, and I see its associated "java.exe" in the
process view. If I terminate one, I terminate the other. The two views of
the same debug target are confusing.

Thus, I propose
* one 'debug' view that shows all launches (in both modes).
* we only show one view of a debug target - i.e. we do not show the
"java.exe" view of a debug target
* a launch object will not contain a process (i.e. in #getProcesses())
that
refers to the process for a debug target (because that process is
available
from the debug target anyway via IDebugTarget.getProcess()).
* a launch can still contain > 1 process (for example, when debugging J9,
the "proxy" will still be appear as a process)

Darin