RE: [photran] How to use Intel idb as debugger

Hello Olof,

It sounds like, with gdb,  you may be seeing the problem ‘can’t find the source for main()’.  If you set a breakpoint in your Fortran code at a convenient place and click ‘Resume’, gdb should run to your Fortran breakpoint and stop with your Fortran source open.  The reason you see this behavior (if I am guessing correctly about your situation) is that debug launch configurations are created by default with ‘stop at main()’ enabled.  With Intel Fortran, the ifort runtime library provides the main() symbol so the debugger is stopping in ifort rtl code which it does not have any source for.  You can just ignore this stop at main() and click resume to continue into your Fortran code, or you can eliminate the stop at main() by disabling it in your debug launch configuration.  But make sure you set a breakpoint in your Fortran code either way so that your program does not just run to completion before you get a chance to debug anything.

With regards Intel idb debugger, there is no idb integration for Photran.  However, the idb product included in your ifort kit does come with a standalone Eclipse based GUI version of idb.  You can use that if you were particularly interested in using idb for debugging.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks,

Bill Hilliard