Re: [photran] RE: [photran-announce] Photran 4.0 beta 3 now available

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the questions. So far I was only aware of one or two people who had actually tried the refactorings! Comments follow...

When I tried it, it seemed to try to build the database each time, even

The program database we are using in 4.0 beta 2/beta 3 is brand new, and unfortunately I did not have time to add any caching before the release. So it doesn't actually rebuild the database, but every database read goes directly to disk and deserializes some objects, which is ungodly slow. This is at the top of the list of things to fix since every analysis and refactoring depends on it (including new ones we'll introduce next year).

In the mean time, the hope is that it works correctly but slowly. I hope other users will tell us one way or another...

I should have mentioned that in the announcement or on the Web page.

The other related feature I'd like to see is to hook that symbol
database into the search engine so that it can look for symbols rather

Some of our undergraduates at UIUC implemented "find all references" (comparable to the same feature in CDT and JDT) quite successfully this semester. That is one of several features that will be introduced early next year.

I did try it to rename variables, but in addition to renaming the
variable, it removed all spaces in the modified source file, as shown

Actually, the refactorings are supposed to be disabled on fixed format code! (How did I miss that?!) For now, anyway, only the free form parser maintains the comment and spacing information necessary to perform refactorings. Thanks for noticing!

Jeff

Back to the top