Re: [paho-dev] Is paho.mqtt.python actively maintained?

Philip Couling <couling@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks Greg
>
>>Are there serious open issues?  Does it fail to work with Python 3.11?
>> Something can be maintained in a sense while not having changes, if
>> there is no reason to have changes.
>
> What's concerning is that there's 224 open issues on Github
> <https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.python/issues> and 26 PRs; on the
> face of it there's plenty of reasons for changes, a few of them would be
> useful for me. It seems a mighty long time for some of these to remain open
> with no response, not even to reject and close them. I really appreciate
> that open source projects are often maintained in people's spare time, I
> don't wish to seem ungrateful.

That does sound different; thanks for clarifying.

As someone who maintains something entirely unrelated, I find github
attracts a vast amount of low quality issues, including people asking
questions in issues, and it's very hard to deal with.  It might help --
but you'd have to ask the people with write access -- to go through the
issues and for those which are just noise to explain why in a comment
with a closing recommendation.

> On the contrary, I was really wondering about the chance of my own PR(s)
> being accepted if I submit.  A couple of week's worth of evenings would be
> a big waste to spend on a PR if nobody's monitoring the queue.

Perhaps, but I tend to separate writing the code to solve my own
problem, making it good enough for public consumption, and then filing a
PR.

We'll see if anyone with write access speaks up over the next week.

Back to the top