Re: [paho-dev] Query related to publisher and subscriber using same client

You don't mention which library you're looking at (C, C++, Python, Java, Go, etc), but it looks like you mean the C++ one from mqtt::async_client.

But for any of them, including the C++ library, you can certainly use the same client instance to both publish and subscribe to messages.

There aren't any simple examples of a client doing both publish and subscribe, but it's as easy as starting with a subscriber example and adding a call to cli.publish(...) anywhere in the code while you have a connection. The client is also thread-safe, so you can use a single client from multiple threads, such as one thread for publishing messages and another for processing subscriptions.

There is also a slightly more in-depth example of a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) client and server for MQTT v5 (rpc_math_cli.cpp and rpc_math_srvr.cpp). Both of those use a single connection for publishing and subscribing.

Frank