Re: [paho-dev] Next IoT WG Meeting - the Future of Paho - Tuesday 11th Feb

I'm in. Tues is perfect.

Frank

On 2/7/20 7:31 AM, Ian Craggs wrote:
Hello All,

the next Eclipse IoT WG meeting will be held on Tuesday February 11 @ 11am EDT.

To join the Zoom meeting from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/646159255

We will be discussing the Eclipse Paho (https://eclipse.org/paho) project, and its future.

Nearly all of the people are now working on the project in their own time rather than as part of their paid employment.  Now this isn't perhaps that unusual for Open Source projects in general, but it is a change from the start of the project, when several people working at IBM formed the initial committers.

The remit of the project was to help create a community around MQTT, and I think that it has generally succeeded in doing that over the last 7 years.  Paho consists of a number of components for the MQTT and MQTT-SN protocols, principally client libraries in various languages.  Each of the components has a committer responsible for it, some more involved than others.

Some components do not have much active involvement, and one of the questions is how to treat those.  Should we deprecate in some cases?  From time to time, some people do want to get involved, but becoming an Eclipse committer is perhaps more onerous than they would like to take on.  Is there any feasible way of making temporary contributions easier?

I have recently been sponsored by HiveMQ (thanks to them) for some of my work on Paho, and Github sponsors is a new program which we may be able to take advantage of.  However given that I think that there are companies who rely on the Paho components, contributions in terms of time and effort are the most valuable.

If anyone would like to add their thoughts to the discussion, as a contributor or as a consumer of the project, please feel free to join in.  Thanks!

This is the first of a series of proposed project level discussions at the regular IoT workgroup meeting, alternating with general IoT WG business.

Ian Craggs