Re: [paho-dev] Paho video call today at 13:30 (UK time)

Thanks to Pierre and Tarun for meeting me on the call today.

Tarun had a problem using the Zoom software on Ubuntu and had to join by phone.  I'll see if I can try this out myself - it's a shame if it doesn't work well.

We discussed the MQTT v5 support in the Python client library. If no-one else is planning to do it, I might contribute an upate myself.  I'll open an issue to start the discussion.

Pierre mentioned the possibility of adding disk persistence to the Python client.  I said that the C client for instance has a pluggable interface to allow multiple implementations.

I also had a discussion recently where it was pointed out that the current persistence interface doesn't allow for a 2-phase commit integration with an external transaction server.  If we have callback points for both the receipt of the publish and pubrel packets, then such an integration is possible.  Should be considered for any new persistence implementation, and updating any existing.

We had a discussion with Tarun about the best way of contributing.  Tarun has already created a PR to fix an issue, which is great.  I pointed out that it is really helpful if a test is contributed along with a fix to a) show the problem and that the PR does indeed fix it and b) to make sure that future changes don't revert that fix.  Writing the test can take longer than implementing the fix, which is why it's such a help.

We'll undoubtedly have further discussions on the best way to encourage contributions in the future.  (This seems like a good resource: https://opensource.guide/building-community/)

I will arrange the next meeting in a month's time, I think.  If anyone would like to talk sooner, then let me know.

Thanks