From:        "James Sutton1" <james.sutton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        11/03/2016 11:16 AM
Subject:        [paho-dev] Paho Java client for MQTTv5 - Feedback / Suggestions        needed
Sent by:        paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

In anticipation of the MQTTv5 spec being formalised we want to start looking at building a new Java client that supports it. By building a new client from scratch, it allows us to take advantage of a more moden JDK / JRE, lessons learnt from the past and of course feedback from the community.

The rough idea currently is to build it in a similar way to the existing mqttv3 client, i.e. use similar naming conventions / APIs (MqttAsyncClient etc..) but to make changes where appropriate so that the development experiance for those wishing to use the library is a lot easier. We could also bundle and wrap the existing mqttv3 client inside the mqttv5 client so that in the event that the broker does not support MQTT v5, the client can gracefully fall back to 3.1 or 3.1.1 whilst still exposing the modern API.

Before I or anyone else starts development on this though, we could really use your feedback and suggestions as to how you would like to use the new client or how you think the existing client could be improved!

So... If you can think of anything, please tell us!

Kind regards,

James Sutton
Software Engineer - IoT Foundation - MQTT Open Source Projects
Ops Team - Wimbledon Project

Phone:01962 815438 | Extension:x372454
E-mail:
james.sutton@xxxxxxxxxx
Personal Website:
www.jsutton.co.uk
Find me on:

IBM

Hursley Park
Hursley, SO212JN
United Kingdom

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6 3AU
Unless stated otherwise above: