From: paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Frank Pagliughi
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:11 PM
To: paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [paho-dev] MQTT clientfor ZeroMQ

ZeroMQ is a flexible toolkit for writing different communications
patterns, whereas MQTT is broker-based publisher/subscriber system.
Although 0MQ has pub/sub sockets as one of it's many patterns, the wire
format is different than that used by MQTT, so they are certainly not
directly compatible.

ZeroMQ sockets mostly just want to talk to other ZeroMQ sockets, so for
the majority of systems, you would write all your services using just
0MQ. It does have some low-level interfaces to talk to the rest of the
world, but if you wanted to use them to speak to an MQTT broker, you
would essentially need to write an MQTT client library using these
interfaces. That is not a "light" solution.

If MQTT does everything that you need then just forget about ZeroMQ and
pick out an existing MQTT client. You will be up and running much more
quickly.

But if you already have a ZeroMQ platform running (or desire some ZMQ
patterns not supported by MQTT), and want to bridge some of it to MQTT,
then you can write a bridge app between the two systems. My advice, in
that case, would be to take the ZeroMQ library and an MQTT client
library, and write a program that shuffles packets back and forth
between them.

Frank