Re: [paho-dev] Release Planning for Paho - thoughts?

David, Wayne,

thanks for your thoughts.

No, we've not had any releases yet.  But in my opinion, the Java, C and _javascript_ clients are ready for production use, and I would talk to Roger about the Python client.  We are getting regular bug reports for the Java and C clients.

I thought a release would be a useful way of promoting Paho (as you say, signalling that the included components are ready for production) as well as making sure the project is in good shape from an admin point of view.

When you say "incubating" release, you mean as opposed to a Graduation Review, or Simultaneous Release?  If so, I say yes, this time around.  As Wayne suggested, I think aligning dates with the Simultaneous Release would be highly desirable.

Ian

On 27/11/13 20:17, David M Williams wrote:
> Are the mentors subscribed to the dev list?
Yes, "we" are subscribed.

I think Wayne's covered many of the basics for the mechanics ... or, given the links that do.

But will add my high level thoughts ...

Given the "age" of the project, I'd say a release was in order. (You've not had any, yet, right?)

But, that should be balanced with the "need" for one. One thing that characterizes a "release" is that it becomes relatively permeant, and to some degree (of your choice, mostly, driven by your adopters) maintenance releases would follow that .... in addition to your next "major" release stream.

A "release", to me, sends a message that "this is ready for production use" (again, with what ever qualifications you wanted) ... but definitely it says more than a "milestone" or "checkpoint" build ... which we typically advise people to never use those production.

I'm assuming this would still be an "incubating" release? Sorry I've not kept closer track, but assuming you've been having regular "milestone" and/or "integration" builds ... and assuming you've been getting good bug reports from "adopters" then I'd think a release (even if incubating) would be good. If you are not getting much "adopter use" yet and/or have a ways to go before being "usable in production" then that might be reason to consider it more carefully, as it would not serve much purpose and might give the wrong impression.

All that said, I'm happy to answer more specific questions and/or "catch up" with the project to give more specific advice, if you head in that direction.

Thanks, and good luck!