Re: [paho-dev] Maximum number of inflight messages exceeded

In the C client libraries, the synchronous API has a limit of 10 (or 1 -- see "reliable") inflight messages, but the asynchronous client has no limit apart from running out of the 64k MQTT msgids (as does the _javascript_ API).  The publish call of the synchronous API blocks when it hits the limit.

This seems like a reasonable approach, as the aim of the synchronous API is to make writing of application programs simple, while the aim of the async API is to never block.  It is also quite easy in the async API to limit the number of inflight messages you have by subtracting the number of message delivered callbacks from the number of successful publication calls made.

The only drawback is that it makes it easy in the async API to end up with a large number (but still a lot less than 64k) of inflight messages, which is not efficient.  The client librararies aren't intended to be databases.

Ian