Re: [p2-dev] Product definition as extension of another product

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:31 AM, Yousouf, Shenol <s.yousouf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Hugues,
>
> Thank you for your answer ! Could you please tell me a little bit more about this "bit of glue code added to the core.product" - what is it like and how it works ?

It is really a case by case basis and an alternative to using p2.inf.
For example: make a bundle in the base product that is auto-started.
Have it track the installation of bundles with a custom manifest
header: "my-auto-start".
Trigger the start of those bundles.

> The trick which I found out for myself is to list the "extras" in a separate product file and then attach the other product IU during the publishing process via instructions from p2.inf file (more details here - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Customizing_Metadata ). Works like charm if both products are in the same p2 repository ! :) If they are not, to workaround the visibility problem between the two products, you can list the repositories as childs of one composite repository and install from there.
>
> P2 has absolutely no problem to install product IUs which include other product IUs as their requirements under specific conditions (i.e. nested products). Unfortunately, currently there is no way to define such an IU directly from product file except with "hacks" through p2.inf. This problem can be viewed as an extension of another topic which I raised some time ago when it turned out that .product files cannot also support the definition of a mixed content of features and bundles inside them (again, p2.inf can workaround this issue).

Thanks for the detailed explanation,
Best,
Hugues